7 AdarII 5774
Welcome to Your JCC!
JCC MetroWest has been at the center of our community for over 130 years bringing people together while providing educational, social, cultural and fitness programs.
The Leon & Toby Cooperman JCC in West Orange and our day-camp, Camp Deeny Riback, serve an area that covers 400 square miles - from New York City to the east in Essex County and extending to the outlying suburbs of Morris County to the west.
Through our classes, theater events, summer camps and community-wide festivals we touch approximately 50,000 people each year.
Leon & Toby Cooperman
JCC Ross Family Campus
760 Northfield Avenue West Orange, NJ 07052
Tel: 973-530-3400 Fax: 973-736-6871
- State-of-the Art Fitness Center
- Aquatics - full-size swimming pools
- Nursery, Pre-school and Kindergarten
- Summer Camps including our ACA Accredited Camp Deeny Riback
- School vacation programs
- Special needs activities
- Jewish education classes and workshops
- JCC MetroWest currently serves the 10th largest Jewish community in North America.
- JCC MetroWest’s classes, theater, events and community-wide festivals reach approximately 50,000 individuals per year.
- Our programs include infant/toddler full day care, pre-nursery & nursery school, kindergarten, aquatics, sports & wellness, sports leagues, School of the Arts (fine arts, music, dance), theater, after school care, leadership development, school vacation programs, senior centers, summer camps, Jewish celebrations, enrichment classes, special needs activities, college programs, singles programs, couples programs, skill development, MetroWest Jewish Health & Healing Center (mind • body • spirit), Hebrew classes, and more.
- JCC MetroWest was first established 128 years ago when the Jewish community of Newark organized the Young Men’s Hebrew Association (YMHA) in Newark’s Library Hall. By 1881, the group moved into a three-story brick building on Plane Street renamed “Hebrew Hall.” It housed a gymnasium, bowling alley, dance hall/auditorium, and bar.
- In 1922, construction began on a new building and in 1924 the High Street “Y” opened its doors. Many of our older members still remember the “Y” with fond memories.
- With Newark’s changing demographics, the High Street “Y” closed in 1954. After a series of temporary residences, a new building on Chancellor Avenue was completed in 1959, serving the Jewish community of Newark as well as the growing suburban populations in Irvington and Hillside.
- The Jewish exodus from Newark to the suburbs continued and the Chancellor Avenue building was sold in 1969. Meanwhile, on Northfield Avenue in West Orange, the YM-YWHA of Essex County opened its doors in 1967.
- 1987 saw the first renovation of the West Orange facility, and an expanded gymnasium and early childhood classrooms were added.
- In 1992, the Lautenberg Family JCC of Greater Morris was opened in Whippany. It houses the first Jewish Day Care program sponsored by the local Jewish community.
- 2001 saw the For All Generations…Our Time is Now Capital Campaign initiated to raise funds for the expansion and renovation of the West Orange Facility.
- September 2003 the West Orange facility’s name changed from the JCC of Metropolitan NJ to the Leon and Toby Cooperman JCC, Ross Family Campus.
- The 2007 renovation and expansion of the Leon & Toby Cooperman JCC added a parking garage and 50,000 square feet of space with a new Fitness Center, Early Childhood Center, Atrium, program space, conference center, art gallery, and kosher café.
- JCC MetroWest’s vision is to be the premier Jewish social, recreational, cultural, and educational center serving the entire MetroWest community and inspiring every individual to explore the boundless potential of Judaism.